I'm not sure why I am so consumed with 'facts.' Why can't I just be happy with how it happens. On Saturday I ran a 5k...and honestly when I went I didn't have any expectations for a lot of reasons...but mostly because of the weather. You can't honestly expect to run a PR when it is snowing and there is ice all over the course. So when they were handing out awards and called my name I was beyond surprised...
Yep, it says 2nd place female 30-39...I was initially excited, but then they said my time of 26:09...what? My excitement faded as I knew that couldn't be right. That time does not ever get you a second place finish...Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the 26:09 (I know I had a tough run)...I just question the placement....When I was finally able to check the official results online, I found out why I was 2nd place... You see the overall female 1st and 2nd place winner was from my division...You can't win both the overall and the division so then my technically 4th place finish moves up to 2nd. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy! But wondering why we don't just say what it is...Lou just tells me...'Honey, I would kill for a 26:09 5k...you should be happy with that as well, especially in the conditions.' So I'm trying to put my mixed feelings aside and just be happy with the 2nd place award!
In this race Brooke also ran a 'fun run' of 150 yards...Keep in mind that Brooke has been in track for 2 years now, totally avoids any kind of track meet and really doesn't give too much effort. I still make her do track every summer because it is just so good for so many different parts of her life. Well after seeing the speed that she possessed during this 'fun run' I'm gonna be making this girl try so much harder. I'll run behind her and be that voice that drives her crazy but keeps her going. I don't want her to be 32 (like me) and have someone tell her 'I wish someone would have invited you to a track practice, you would have done amazing.' I want her to have the opportunity to be amazing and have the confidence that has taken me 32 years to achieve.
No comments:
Post a Comment