27 June 2011

The Tough Mudder Challenge

Well after serious self convincing to get up Saturday morning to meet my fellow teammates, we competed in the 1st Tough Mudder Challenge in Colorado at Beaver Creek Resort. While a beautiful facility, I (and my butt) have a new appreciation for the steepness of those 'hills.' We had a late start time (the race is set up to start 500 people every 20 min) so we watched at the finish line with the electroshock therapy. This was more than likely a giant mistake! We watched people get shocked, convulse to the ground and have a hard time get back up. But then there were others that just ran right through it like it was no problem.

Anyway, we started with the Tough Mudder Mantra that mudders don't whine, kids whine...something else about team spirit and helping out your fellow man and taking on the toughest event on the planet. All the while I'm thinking that I just want to be fit, not sure I need all this extra stuff! Off we go, starting out with a nice downhill jog...Then starts the first hill...and just like a 14er there are many false peaks that make you believe that your at the top. But at this point spirits are good and upbeat, although with the altitude and length of the hill, it by far was not easy but with good vibrations anything is possible. A few obstacles and 3 miles later we run into a sign that says if you were doing the Warrior Dash you would be done by now...I still felt great at that point, I'm gonna be fine right? Then comes along the 'Swamp Stomp' where you jump into a 36 degree pond and wade your way across, cold -- yes, giant rocks in the bottom -- yes that would be the point of a few bruises. Out we go, no big deal. Turn the corner only to have to get back into the cold pond and swim under some barrels. I'm thinking that as long as I can touch the bottom I'll be alright. Under the first barrels -- can't touch, can't see anything, colder than cold, not sure which way to go, second set of barrels -- still can't touch, looking for a way out starting to have a really hard time breathing the only way out is to go through the 3rd set...People are trying to help me out of the water and give me a warming sheet...I just need to keep moving, where is the path, where do I go. Super disoriented I then have to carry a log around in the mountains. Things did improve slightly until this 'jacuzzi' thing. That same cold water only ice and other 'stuff' added to turn me blue. The problem. My legs wouldn't listen to my brain to actually help get out of this tub...My brother had to jump back in to help me out. Many things are just a blur after that. It was hill after hill after giant hill. Many times of wet and cold...never hot. I never complained once of being hot. This challenge was never ending. I never felt like we would actually see the electroshock therapy and the finish line. Eventually it did come around and after watching my teammates go through and after all the other obstacles of the day I politely walked around. Guess what? They still gave me the coveted orange headband, they still gave me the beer and the shirt and all the proof I will ever need to show that I'm a Tough Mudder. At this point I'm not sure if that is something I'm proud of or something that just goes to show that I'll try anything once!

My sister, the one that never signed up is currently jealous...saying I should do it with her next year. After signing my death waiver once, I'm a little skittish about doing this all over again, however, I now know what to expect and could very well be better prepared for this. After all, how many times have all of us said never again and how short of memories we all carry!

The Tough Mudder was hard, not only physically but mentally. The Tough Mudder was great team building and meeting other crazy or idiotic folk just like yourself and in the end I'm glad I had that serious convincing conversation with myself Saturday morning. I'm glad that I participated and survived with many sore muscles, sunburn and more bruises and scrapes that I can count. It was totally worth it, the sense of accomplishment and to be among the few people that actually finish makes it all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment