23 July 2015

Midyear updates

Well I guess writing can be a form of therapy ... that would mean that you actually write down your thoughts and go back and reread them. I understand that it can be a form of therapy, like look how far I've come or remember when... Well, here is to someday right?

Since the last post, upwards of 7 months ago many things have happened. Of course, Brooke has danced, Tyler has played soccer... Lou and I have argued with schools, I have run and signed myself up for crazy challenges again. Lou has officially ended his term as Vice President of the PTA. Lou and I signed up for the Tough Mudder again, the kids signed up for the Mini-Mudder ... They are super excited for that. 

So the Challenge that I have accepted for 2015 is to run 2015 miles with a team. Luckily, I have fantastic team mates that are keeping the team going. My mileage at the beginning of the year was rather lame and I was super stressed about the situation because secretly I had set a goal that I was going to run at least 700 of those miles. We 35 miles in January and 35 miles in February is pretty sad ... But I have stepped up my game and now I'm much closer to where I need to be... I haven't totally made it up yet but I'm close. Right now I sit at 370 miles. I was kinda hoping to get to 400 by the end of July but 30 miles in 8 days is probably not going to happen. Anyway, this challenge has given me motivation to keep running every week... You see I haven't really signed up for many races and no long distance races so I really didn't have a reason to get out of the house or go further than 3-5 miles. Since Lou has decided he would start running with me a little bit it has been much easier and motivating to get out of the house, however, he is forcing me to run much much faster. I've always said I don't do tempo runs because I'm afraid of them.... Well I'm still afraid of them, Lou just forces the issue.

Lou is so happy to be out from under all of the PTA duties. He thought it was great at first and to give back to the community and the school and stuff was great, however, like most things we volunteer for it all becomes too much. The last few months it seemed like every day he was at the school having to take care of something new. Quite honestly it was starting to make me a little angry also.

Brooke has had an eventful 6 months, outside of her typical dance schedule... First she went to Outdoor Lab, then she went to Washington DC, then to Long Beach. Brooke danced the whole season, she did great and for the most part enjoyed the experience of all of the competitions. As Brooke is entering the almost teenage years I'm doing my best to make sure she is learning lessons and remembering feelings along the way. That has been a bit of a struggle. Another big thing for Brooke, she was finally strong enough to be on point and to get her first set of point shoes. The girl was so happy, I don't think I have ever seen smiles so big. Brooke's dancing took us to Long Beach for a week. It was fun to visit a new place but believe me when I saw it is not the pretty part of California. Brooke and I enjoyed some time in Washington DC with kids from school. It was a fun trip filled with tons of sightseeing. The days were long and we were all exhausted by the time we got home. It was an amazing experience that I'm sure she won't forget, I know I won't. Outdoor Lab was very exciting for her as well. It was for the most part the longest she has gone without talking to us or seeing us. They keep them very busy so I know she was fine but there was a little worry there. And finally Brooke made it out of elementary school. She is officially a Middle School kid. I'm still not sure how this happened and if I'm even ready for it, but guess what ... Not many people care what I think.

Brooke's point shoe fitting
 
Brooke and her friends at 'continuation'


Tyler played soccer in the spring, ran track in the summer and will play baseball and soccer in the fall. As if everything else didn't keep us running, Tyler wanted to make sure we were full... Tyler is over the top excited about his first opportunity to play baseball, I hope it turns out well for him. Tyler also has been taking statistics classes for fantasy football ... I guess there is always room for improvement, winning by 20 points every week isn't enough. This is to give him a little something extra for his Math push. Last year Lou and I argued with the school often about them ignoring Tyler ... finally they put him up a level at life at our house was so much better. This worked so well for Tyler that the school has changed the schedule to be able to accommodate other students like him. Just getting that battle over with has helped the stress level at my house immensely.

 
 
Aside from all of the above excitement, we have run a few 5K's as a family, spent some time at the pool, tried to enjoy each other's company... Here are some random pictures to show just that...
 
Oh, Right! We went to some Rockies games...

This is the "bike" rental on the beach, it was a lot more work than Lou and I anticipated!

This was after a 5K ... In the middle of July ... That started at 3 in the afternoon... That race director was not thinking ... I don't think Lou likes me much ;).

Tyler and I trying to match Lou's face ... Or maybe Lou just doesn't believe in taking a picture any other way...


No comments:

Post a Comment