Lately I have been struggling a little...I guess struggling keeping everything together and so I have nothing...no words of wisdom, no random thoughts, no nothing. The business of being a mom and taking on so many activities have consumed me and I have a giant problem thinking I can do it all. No wonder my kids act the way they do. My life right now is a non organized disaster and people that know me also know that it is killing me a slow painful death. My email inbox is filled with so many emails that I just don't want to deal with right now, my counter (were my mail sits) is full of school stuff that I have to go through and mail that I'll have to deal with. I'm slightly amazed that I haven't gotten a call from the school or something that I completely forgot something.
Anyway, in a giant effort to reorganize myself I will be posting all of the runners world quotes that I've been saving with the goal of writing about them on here and their relevance to me and my life. So here go on the quotes...
"It's a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do" --Alan Sillitoe, English writer
This actually was sent to me on a day while at work I got criticized an amazing amount of times, was told I was wrong countless number of times etc etc...so any moment, when I can just be alone and no one can talk to me is fabulous...if running allows that, I'm gonna start running hours a day instead of just an hour.
"As I get older I see that running has changed for me. What used to be about burning calories is now more about burning up what is false. Lies I used to tell myself about who I was and what I could do, friendships that cannot withstand hills or miles, the approval I no longer need to seek, and solidarity that cannot bear silence. I run to burn up what I don't need and ignite what I do." -- Kristen Armstrong
This was sent on a day when a friend irritated the heck out of me...the continued choices that I don't agree with etc etc. While telling myself it isn't my deal/problem etc. I also am reminded that it kinda is, because when things turn out on the not so positive side, the friend is going to need a shoulder / friend / supporter...Guess who that person is going to be? Also I was taking on a new adventure and getting very little support. It is amazing how so few words can change an outlook. Also amazing how so few words can give you the confidence to take on situations with a new found attitude.
"Happiness is pushing your limits and watching them back down."
Just yes...nothing else! Who doesn't feel like superman when they have gone above and beyond what the mind said could be done?
"We runners talk about having fun but I don't think anybody believes us. We talk about discipline and endurance, we take care, we exercise caution, we watch our diets and monitor our pace. We are ascetics who talk, unconvincingly, of the bracing enjoyment of self-abuse." -- Peter Sagal
Now there is a reason for my demented behavior...my statements such as "Wow that hill is steep, I wonder if I could run up it or if the hill would win" or "did you see that trail run? I need to try that." The reason is....I'm a runner. It is a great feeling to be validated.
"Suffering is an extraordinary teacher." Ryan Hall
This actually was delivered to my inbox on a day that my run was incredibly difficult followed by a crossfit workout that left me beyond sore. But you know what, I learned so much and my body, supposedly, is so much stronger? God, I hope so!
I'm also reading a book, that I was supposed to read months ago but I ran out of time. Yes, that happens. Anyway, it has to do with a bunch of suffering and what the connection might be. I know that when things are good, whether it be your surroundings or your body or whatever...you tend to learn a whole lot faster than when you aren't suffering.
The book, Unbroken, has made me realize more about World War II, I'm not sure I was seeking that information. Either way I can't believe how humanity, be it Japanese, Hispanic, Chinese, etc can treat others with such hostility. Even in light of recent happenings more close to home, I still am in denial that someone out treat another human with such hostility.
That is it...all I have for thoughts. I now feel a little better that my inbox isn't as full, a much more manageable situation.
No comments:
Post a Comment