17 October 2012

Age...things change...

"As I get older I see that running has changed for me. What used to be about burning calories is now more about burning up what is false. Lies I used to tell myself about who I was and what I could do, friendships that cannot withstand hills or miles, the approval I no longer need to seek, and solidarity that cannot bear silence. I run to burn up what I don't need and ignite what I do." -- Kristen Armstrong...

I'm going to turn this quote into something a little different...What used to be "I run because you don't see fat people running" has turned into "I run because my body craves it" and maybe part of that reason is because of the giant amount of confidence I have gained, maybe it is that I'm not seeking acceptance or approval anymore. Or maybe it is because there is a coincidence that I started running when I started to be a much more positive person. Maybe psychologically I don't want to go back being that person before I run so that is why I continue.

After watching 'runners' I have noticed that more often than not they are super nice people, always encouraging, always supportive always saying 'hi' when they pass you. After giving swimming and biking a valid try...those guys are competitive and not supportive. So I stay running because I like to surround myself with happy supportive people.

Why do you run? Has it changed since you started running?

2 comments:

  1. I run because it makes me a happier person. I used to stress about every little thing, I used to not be able to listen to the radio on the way home from work, because I was soo stressed that the noise made it worse. While I am still a stresser by nature (hello, type A), I stress so much less than I did before I started running. Running is my therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I am happy to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete