15 October 2012

Facing Down Fear

"Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy." -- Dale Carnegie

Apparently the universe was looking out for me today. You see, I woke up this morning to some interesting texts...which lead me to investigate a little bit...which then lead to fear...which then had me jumping at every odd noise and by the time I got ready to put my shoes on I was scared to walk from the door to the car to go to the gym. But the bottom line is that I kept moving when I could have just as easily stayed in bed. And after the gym and as I kept moving throughout the day every minute got a little bit easier. Then eventually I  reminded myself that I can't live in fear, I can't allow some outside action be the cause of all my inaction. I'm happy that the universe knows just exactly when and where to post some encouraging words that are able to give me a whole new outlook on life. But after that morning I can see how some people let fear paralyze them; how it is easier to avoid the fear than to stare it down and get past it. I've decided that the few minutes of uncomfortable is far better than hiding out for a life time. I'm not sure if it really took me my whole life to figure this out or if I always knew.

I must mention, probably just for myself, that the events of the 'missing Jessica Ridgeway' have hit home like no other news that has recently happened. I keep asking myself and others who could do such terrible things to such a young girl. Brooke happens to be close to the age of that girl and I will be the first to tell you that they can be a pain, talk back etc etc, but no one deserves to see the fear that I can only imagine that girl had to be going through. And no mom should have to deal with that knowledge either. In light of it all, it has left me wondering if it is safe for me to continue on with life the way I always have. Is it alright for me to go on my runs alone or leave for the gym as early as I do, or be at work alone? People around me say that they wouldn't be looking for someone like me because I have the ability to fight back. And maybe it isn't just the fear for myself but my kids. I certainly won't let the kids out of my site these days, which is sad right? But, in the end they are the vulnerable ones, they are the ones that can't fight back.

I'll reside my position on the soap box now, and give it up to someone else.

1 comment:

  1. I could have written this post! I had the whole stranger danger talk with my kids after hearing about Jessica. So terrible.

    ReplyDelete