14 August 2012

Running Georgetown 2nd Edition

I ranted just last week about how I get talked into silly things like running 1/2 marathons, especially ones that I've had bad experiences with. I questioned why I subject myself and why I feel like I must test my limits.I also questioned why I was letting my head get the best of me (you shouldn't run, you have a cold, your knee could hurt etc) Although I'm still questioning all of the above, I'm still wondering why I let people talk me into things. But I'm also glad that they did.

When I ran Georgetown to Idaho Springs last year I totally bonked at about mile 6-8 and then walk / ran (more walking than running) the rest of the way. This made the course feel like it was 'forever' long. I gave much of my energy to the 'uphills' of the course and not nearly enough energy to the downhills. I didn't train well for it, letting my head get the better of me. I prayed for a miracle when I knew that you have to train for miracles. Therefor, after I committed to doing this race again I threw myself into training 100%, maybe even more. I did hill workouts and speed work and tempo runs (although they were short) all so that I wouldn't have the same experience. I remembered my gels and I stuck to my plan at the aide stations and with the pace group. The miles ticked by easily, the pace group seemed a bit slow, and the uphills didn't seem so much like uphills, more like rises in the road. The signs from the cross country team were cute and funny this time instead of annoying and dumb like I thought they were last time. They changed the finish this year which is fine but I didn't know when to speed up and 'find the next gear' so I guessed, and I will tell you that I guessed too early and sprinted longer than I thought I could, but the bottom line is that I could sprint that far and it was fine, except I couldn't breath but that is minor right? I passed a lot of people along the way. The bottom line is that my finish time is 1.55.16. That is better than I could have hoped for. I ran without a watch this time (the first time for this distance) I just ran by feel. Who knew that you could set a PR running by feel?

I told some friends that my goal for the 1/2 marathon distance is to feel strong for the entire 13 miles so when I felt good and I began to notice things like the view and such I was happy. I made that goal. The weather was also perfect, not too hot, not too cold which also made my day.

I had also mentioned to someone that if I ever got to the 1.50 1/2 marathon I might consider a full marathon. Who does stuff like that?

So just know, Georgetown and I have become friends. No longer will I tell people how terrible that race is...I will mention there are hills. It's just not right to tell people it is all downhill. But when you train for the hills and for the distance then sometimes it all just comes together, kind of like a perfect storm and when that happens then miracles can happen as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment