07 June 2012

running mantras

Did you know...running is hard. I know, we have already discussed that I'm a slow learner. I was so reminded that running is hard on Tuesday night at the track. We were doing repeat 800's. I guess you should know that the 800 and I have a love/hate relationship. I love how strong they make me but I hate actually running them. Anyway, the story is, there were many more participants at track this week than usual and so most of them only had 4 repeats...Those of us that show up every week we had 6. And in theory it should have probably been more because we had done 18 200 repeats the week before and building the strength blah blah blah. Long story longer...after everyone dropped out after number 4 this whole thing got really hard. But I was able to tell myself on number 5 that I only have 1 more...you know that whole mind over matter deal. Then on number 6 I got through it because it really was supposed to be the last one. In the end I got talked into doing a 7th repeat. And like I mentioned I probably should have counted on doing that many anyway. And on that 7th repeat do you know how many times I said I was gonna step out, just finish the one lap? Far too many. However, it is a good thing I read all these blogs and talk to all these people that put these silly mantra's in your head and you just tough it out and finish...So guess what, I finished the 800 and it wasn't even my slowest one!

So it only took about 14 pages to describe where I was going with... running is hard -- but we all get through it! What mantra's do you use?

Some of my favorites...

"Shut up and Run" -- I have to thank Beth (from the blog SUAR for this one)
"It's when your uncomfortable that your body is getting stronger"
"This is fun (in a demented sort of way) and you are going to be happy you finished when your done"
"Your body will always tell you to stop...you need your mind to tell your body to shut up"
"Even if your walking or going slow at least your not at home on the couch."

No comments:

Post a Comment