28 June 2012

June Updates

As I sometimes read back into some of the posts I have done I realize how much I forget...I kinda miss my busy weekends...even though I'm really good at complaining about them...I was intoduced into my busy weekends again recently. Brooke had a dance recital and I was racing again and Father's day.



Brooke's dance recital...I just love watching her dance because she has learned so much and gained so much confidence...I'll be honest, the company needs a little help as far as the recital organization goes, and in my future I see helping to fix that but all in all it was fun. And the end goal is to teach the kids how to dance, to give them confidence and provide it in a fun environment. The company has been very successfull in that aspect, so I'm happy.


I raced the father's day 5K again this year at APEX. Last year, if you recall I was afraid to run the 5K distance, for fear of the unknown. Also if you recall I ran a 26.50 finishing 8th in my division. I remember being excited to actually be in the top 10 and happy with the time. So this year, it would be safe to say that I had some preatty high expectations as I had been training hard. I guess I didn't really go into the race with a taper (who tapers for a 5K was my thinking) and I also had 8 miles scheduled for this weekend for other training. So I got up early on Saturday to get the 8 miles in (at Lookout Mountain) and then ran the race Sunday...I know, the suspense is killing you...Official finishing time 24.59, 2nd place in my division. I'm happy overall, kinda, I guess. The 2nd place made me happy, as this was a true 2nd place. Not one of those that they take the first 2 out of my division because they won overall, but true 2nd. The time, however, I've run better, maybe just 30 seconds better, but 30 seconds is 30 seconds and that is what I lost by...I guess I'll be back again next year. And good for you guys that I don't take pictures of me racing. Louis and kids tried to take a picture of me and ended up getting the guy behind me. I'm not that sad that they missed me.

Father's day...we went to Sloan's for brunch in Edgewater. Louis loves that place and my parents joined us, which was great. We then headed to the pool for the rest of the afternoon.  


Since that weekend, I also ran the Slacker  1/2 marathon relay. I only signed up for the relay because I was worried that this supposed downhill race would turn into another Georgetown / Idaho Springs lie. However, this is was no lie...It really was downhill, it really was a fast course. Since I'm the competitive type (although I try not to be) I was busy trying to make up time the whole way. I ended up running the 2nd leg and then ran the rest of the race when I met up with our 3rd leg. We ran a little over 7 miles in 1 hr 2 min. It was a fabulous run for me, however that downhill really did tear my legs up. I think they were sore for the better part of 3 days. And I think if Cindy and I would have ran 7 min miles we still would not have been able to make up enough time to even be in the top 3 but that is ok. Running is largely an individual sport and I have to be happy with what everyone did.



Louis and Brooke have started running a little as well. Lets just mention that my runs have become much more frequent, but shorter distances. It is kinda killing me as now I'm almost craving a solitary run, alone to go as far, as fast as I want. Soon enough...I know.


Besides our above activites of keeping us busy, the kids have been in track 3 nights a week and a few day camps here and there. We have been going to the pool often trying to get Louis and the kids more comfortable in the water. So far that strategy is working.


No comments:

Post a Comment