As I watched TV last night there was a sentence that started me thinking...alright more than one...but we will start with the one. The quote was something like (I'm paraphrasing because I didn't write it down word for word) "If one sentence helps a person through a rough time or gives someone hope that previously had none than that makes the hour of television worth it." I could not agree more. Do you know how many lyrics to songs or story arcs in a television show that I identify with? Because of something going on at work or at home or psychologically and here, since someone is singing about it or writing a television show about it they know the problem too...I'm no longer alone.
I'm not going to sugar coat and say that my days are full of unicorns and rainbows and everything is always perfect, but I will say that I have gotten through many of those non rainbow filled days because of a sentence or a song or whatever...Maybe it is as simple as 'I wish someone would say that to me' or how is it that a song knows just what I'm thinking? Or maybe not, but I think we as a humans forget that it only takes a sentence or mantra or song to make life so much better or maybe just tolerable.
I remember working with a trainer one day...and obviously I wasn't doing the exercise the 'correct' way and she kept talking, rephrasing the same thing until I got it. And now, years later, I remember when I'm doing that specific muscle group I have her in my head telling me how. I remember also, running the track in a particular difficult track workout that I had Katy Perry singing in my ear and so every time that song plays I go back to my day at the track and how the song helped me through and then I remember I've had much better days at the track after that. One last example, going through a difficult time during a relationship I was attracted to sappy, sad kind of songs and shows. I would listen to the songs over and over and watch the same episode of television over and over...And however it happened I moved passed the difficult time and moved on to much happier days. But still when those songs play I'm reminded how far I've come.
Last night it was also brought to my attention that when we are young we are always looking toward our dreams and becoming the person we want to be...And then somehow we grow up and we still look forward. We don't ever realize how far we have come or how we have somehow morphed into the person we once dreamed of. So today, I'm going to think of that person...That 17 year old high school graduate that couldn't wait for all of my dreams to come true! I encourage everyone else to do the same. To realize that we all grow everyday and to some of us we are too busy living in the future to realize how great things are in the present!
No comments:
Post a Comment