Before I left for my long Sunday morning run yesterday, Lou and my conversation went something like this...
Lou: "Hey do you think it is smart for you to go run in this wind with your cold and coughing?"
Me: "I'm hoping the run will help the lungs, and I can't control the weather so it will have to be fine."
Lou: "Are you sure? Do you hear that crazy wind? And your going out to the reservoir?"
Me: "Yeah, it will be alright, I'm only going like 5 miles, plus I need to make up for all the missed workouts last week!"
Lou: "Well be careful!" It was more of a defeated...I tried to save you type answer.
After the run I'm thinking the conversation should have gone something like this....
Lou: "Hey do you think it is smart for you to go run in this wind with your cold and coughing?"
Me: "You are probably right...that wind is brutal and I really have a hard time embracing the wind even when I do feel good...maybe I should just stay home."
Since the conversation went like the first example, here is what I have to say to the wind...and to my cold...and that giant hill...and even my knee / leg issue
Dear Universe:
I know you have a conspiracy to try and deter me from spending my Sunday morning running and I am listening...really. I have lowered my mileage by a considerable amount, I've been doing more and more to take care of myself and having plenty of rest days. The knee/leg situation...have you not noticed how I've been doing all kinds of different therapy and resting it? I know the acupuncture and the neuro muscular therapy have been painful and I have been respectful of letting the healing happen...However, just when things start to feel good the wind...and I'm not talking about a nice breeze that would cool you off...I'm talking about lifting you off your feet force winds. Last week, running into the wind was extremely painful and interesting...And it did slow down my times but it is into the wind...the workout your body goes through is amazing! So then last week when the cold (I'm talking about a cough till you throw up type cold) came around I thought it would only last a day or two... and I'll admit, here goes stubborn me to try and run the cold away instead of resting it away...not one of my smarter moves...Then add that crazy wind with a 400 foot climb in elevation (trust me I only know that because my run mapper tells me so) almost killed me. I think the only saving grace was that there were switch backs and so you would run a little way into the wind and then a little way away from the wind. My lungs were crying tears of pure pain and I'm still coughing and now loosing my voice. However, just so you know I'm not full of complaints...I did enjoy the top of the hill running away from the wind and no hill and the few times when I'm sure my feet didn't actually touch the ground, like I was flying. I'm sure that mile helped try to make up for my slow pace. I'm hoping that you will see, universe, that I'm not one that gives up easily. I felt like superman when I finished the run so I guess even knowing what I know now...I would do it again. What I'm hoping is that you and I can come to some sort of agreement...A compromise of sorts...you allow me to run with my friends on Sunday mornings without the wind and cough and leg pain and I'll be a better person / mom / wife / employee / friend...really whatever you want!
You let me know what your thoughts are!
Sincerely,
Trisha
No comments:
Post a Comment