I've tried, I think, to use my blog as my journal...except a journal that I would be ok with anyone reading. However, I've discovered through the past couple of weeks I don't always have time for this...I love to go back and read stuff that I wrote a year ago and remember all that stuff...So I guess with my one post here I'll try to remember everything that has happened recently...
After running Georgetown and getting over my disappointing finish (I've finally decided that I was waiting for a miracle and in running miracles don't happen unless you train for them to happen) I took off the Tuesday track workout...ran on Wednesday but cut it short because of the nagging calf issue...did the gym thing on Tuesday and Wednesday and then I ran 4 miles on Saturday in the heat, which almost killed me. I hiked Mt. Bierstadt with some friends on Sunday (more on that later). I then did a repeat hill work out (Ward Road 4 times) on Monday, I did the gym thing Tuesday morning and then track work out (5 800's) Tuesday night and a short walk Wednesday morning...After all of that and no calf issue I feel like I'm back to really get down to business so that the Rock - n - Roll 1/2 is a positive outcome! I feel like the workouts are making me stronger and all the strain I've put on my body in the past week has not killed me. Looking ahead, I have the gym in the morning, hiking Mt. Lincoln on Saturday and 8 miles Sunday...With 6 weeks to go until Rock - n - Roll I have some ground to cover but I think I can do it...NO...I know I can do it...I'm thinking for a positive outcome I want to finish in a 2:00 - 2:05. It's not too far out of reach...and at Georgetown I ran with the 2:05 pace group until I hit the wall.
Hiking...I had it in my head that I wanted to hike a 14er last weekend and as it turned out some friends also had time...so after looking at all the 54 options of mountains we could do Mt. Bierstandt it was decided...mainly because it was close and not rated difficult (it is only the 2nd one I've hiked and the other 2 are newbies also). Anyway, we decided to meet at 6:00 at the parking lot and all drive to Georgetown together...I can't believe how full the parking lots were at 6 on a Sunday morning. Apparently we aren't the only demented ones out there. So we found the trail fairly easily...do the whole bathroom thing and I'm estimating that we were on the trail head at 8 ish... Anyway, off we go and the trail was groomed, quite well I will say...We are seeing a lot of people and I guess it didn't dawn on me that all of these people are headed to the same spot we are. We did take some 'catch your breath' type breaks and one that we had a snack...all in all we kept going. When we got to the steep part we did have to go from trail marker to trail marker to catch our breath but not bad. We get to where the trail flattens out, take a few pictures and look at the last 250ft up...Actually that was the most fun, figuring out your own path and jumping from rock to rock. The top, was amazing...where you can see the whole world (at least it feels like that). The bummer, there was all the people up there plus many more that were going to the same place I was...At the top we saw this guy who was carrying a toddler on his back...He started heading down the same time we did...so we thought we should be able to keep up with him...Wow...you could tell this was not his first rodeo...I'm figuring 3 hours up a little over an hour down. Amazing how much easier going down is! The hike was great, the conversation and company was great...I just wish now I had more time to fit these in!
Next...The kids started school...And actually I have to start with Back to School night...I had been positive about this for weeks...The kids are going to meet their teachers, life is going to be great. I knew Tyler was very nervous about starting Kindergarten and having to be there ALL day, but I was hoping my positive vibes would out weigh his nervous attitude. Well that worked. We got to school, got his teaching assignment, that we already knew and life was great. Brooke, however, she was excited until she got her teaching assignment. Mr....I think her hearing stopped working after that. She looked at the paper dumb founded. We got to her class, she robotically (is that a word?)2 did her assigned tasks, we left to go to Tyler's class and immediate tears formed. I had to stop that because I had to get Tyler all settled in to his assigned tasks...Anyway, many tears and conversations later Brooke decides she can give it a try. Now, 3 days into school the kids are both so happy, they can't stop talking about things they did or how the teacher sets traps for them to fall into or how they meet new friends. Brooke loves the new teacher so far...the funny thing "Mom did you know in 3rd grade it is really hard to get SOAR slips but really easy to get warning cards?" That is the biggest of your worries? Tyler loves his teacher, Kindergarten etc etc...except "Mom, do you think next year you can sign me up for 1/2 days?" No buddy, I think your going to be stuck with the long days for awhile.
Brooke's other big dilemma...Girls are finding their 'sassy' attitudes. I'm not too sure I'm excited about this but knew it would happen sooner or later.
The first day of school she comes home and says "Mom, (friends name) was really sassy to me today, with her hand on her hip and sassy voice."
Me "So what did you do?"
Brooke: "Well you told me it's not nice to be sassy so I just walked away and found a different friend."
Thank God she is listening...Maybe I have another few months before she finds her sassiness. But I sure was hoping that these girls could all just stick together and be friendly to each other a little longer than now...but it will all work out...I just remember being a girl and mean and stuff...some things never change! Hopefully tomorrow they can all be friends!
I think that is all of my updates...It would be sad if only a week later I can't remember things that happened...
Hey!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are healing well! If you are going to do Lincoln you might as well hike Cameron, Bross and Democrat you can do 4 in one day! It's easy I swear!! ;) Like trail running J/K!!!!!What time are you running Sunday? I also am planning on 8 my foot is just ok I feel it but no stress fracture!
Good job on the hike! I had a Mr. Teacher in 3rd grade and he's still one of my all time favorite teachers! I dread the sassiness of girls too, I hope you can share what works for Brooke so I can learn from you. Miss you guys and hope to see you again soon!
ReplyDelete- Crystal Bowen