While running with a friend this weekend (Thanks Kristine for joining me!) I learned something about myself...actually probably more than one thing...but I admit...I can't say no...Someone says 'can you...' and I say 'yeah no problem' before I even hear the whole question. There are many many times that my saying yes gets me overloaded. You would think after all this time that I would learn right?
Well today my horoscope that is emailed to me says...."You could be working hard to keep up with a full schedule which may make things seem quite hectic today." Really...it is like it read my mind. "Being overloaded might be the result of your feeling that you have to do everything perfectly in order to please other people. Perhaps this would be a good time for you to learn to say 'no' to others and put your own needs first." Wow, you mean that is ok? To put my needs first? "By doing so you might realize that it is not only much more important to take care of yourself first, but that you will be much more effective when you have less on your plate." Wow...I guess I never thought about that from the other perspective. Maybe I don't need to be such an over achiever!
So after two days and the same revelation I just want everyone to know I'm putting my own needs first. No more soccer games, no more dance recitals, no more room mom parties etc etc etc. I'll start coming to work when it fits into what I need to do, I'll answer the phone when I feel it must be necessary, talk to my husband when I want to instead of all the time and I'll take care of the kids when I miss them. I'll only see my friends when I want to and suggest it. Because as a person I really don't 'need' any of those things.
I'm kidding... Maybe I'm being a little dramatic here!
Isn't this what makes me happy? Aren't all of these things...the soccer games, dance recitals, seeing my kids and husband and watching them just 'being' happy...going to work and feeling like I accomplished something...having and seeing friends...Aren't all these things that keeps my life hectic all things that make me happy? I mean as a person I'm happy...I'm scheduled and overworked and booked solid but I'm happy! Obviously I love being busy and moving all the time and always having something to do. And yes, there are times when I do some things that aren't my favorite, but in the end I usually have a smile from someone.
Just yesterday I ran 10 miles...did some cleaning around the house and then went on a family bike ride...And I'm thinking...should I really go on this bike ride or just stay home and relax? But I went...I watched my husband play with the kids, make them laugh, watched the kids make themselves laugh. I was in such a happy place! That 'extra' bike ride absolutely made my day!
So, give me my hectic, fast paced overbooked life any day...If that means that I get to watch my kids just 'be happy' I will continue to 'be happy'...
No comments:
Post a Comment