20 May 2010

The bubble dilemma

I've come to an age where I'm realizing I have lived in a complete bubble for 30 years. I had 'heard' about things...but when it comes right down to it I closed my eyes...or something, never thought it really happened... Very recently I have been introduced to a whole new life, that I didn't even think people really did. But they do...it is very real and maybe, from a perspective of a very niave person, a little bit interesting. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to move out of my bubble...not even for 10 seconds, but I find different things, ideas, ways of life just so interesting.

Since I turned 30...and felt rather old...I decided that I would jump out of my comfort zone at least 1 time every month during the year...In doing so, I have seen the difference in this huge world. Things that make me happy and alive can and are so meaningless to someone else. Hence, probably why there is such a difference of opionion...Maybe, if we would all see that other people are different, instead of wrong...this whole huge world would rotate just a little smoother. But I digress...I'm happy that I've been introduced and know and learn from these people who are choosing to live, for one reason or another, to be just a little different, yet exciting and happy...But in the end they are so much the same...just trying to get through each and every day with as little drama as possible! And like I've been told, if you aren't going to try and make yourself happy...then who is going to make sure that you are happy? I applaud these people that have gone against the grain and have choosen happiness!

Now with the dilemma...Since I'm 30 and have been perfectly content to live in my bubble should I continue to shelter my kids and encourage them to live in their bubble...or should I expose them at a young age so when they are 30 they aren't having these same revalations? Maybe it is all ok...to wait until you are older...you have established life with yourself and who you want to be; so when different ideas are passed along your horizon you aren't as judgemental, or impressionable! And it isn't like this is a life altering situation, merely just revelations. To be honest, life in suburbia living the 'american dream' isn't so bad, in fact I kinda like it! So...for now at least...my kids will continue on with the bubble! I may be revisiting this topic again when my kids grow a little and come home with questions I'm just not ready to answer...or maybe then I'll just roll with the situation and continue with my bubble...

No comments:

Post a Comment