Recently I've become a bit of a cynic I guess. But having learned the grassroots of newspaper and the power of a Headline at a young age I'm still having a hard time processing what I read and I'm still in huge disbelief that even half of this stuff gets published. The really sad part about this whole deal, I probably read the same headline 48 times before I really thought about it. No, I still didn't read the article which is the purpose right? The headline said 'Tiger's wife may file for divorce.' Really? This is newsworthy? It is like saying that Sandra Bullock may file for divorce, or I may jump out of an airplane or Charles Barkley may run through a pile of snakes. They 'may' do all these things or they 'may not' so where is the news or where is the article even going to lead me? And I can't believe that there are really people out there that care!
I guess where I'm going, is some freelance writer had a block and everyone knows if you put Tiger's name in a headline it must be news...so we won't lie, we just won't tell anything new, but I'll still fulfill some end of a contract or whatever...
Regardless a headline is supposed to summarize the article in a very inviting 'read me' type manner and this particular headline did nothing but make me laugh! 'Tiger's wife may file for divorce' just like every other celebrity couple out there, right? Perhaps this is part of the reason that paper media is becoming a thing of the past!
No comments:
Post a Comment