18 September 2019

Summer (ish) updates

These last few weeks at my house has been tough. I would like to say we are all learning and growing from the struggles, however I'm not sure that is the case. But … I did read something today, and I must have needed to read it. I don't remember verbatim but the meaning was, everyone who is successful has struggled, has failed, has had tough weeks. But, I want to take this all a step further … what do we classify as successful? Isn't that subjective? Isn't it different for everyone?

My 12 year old son had soccer tryouts this last week. His version of successful was 'to play with his friends and have a good coach.' I'm sure if you ask some of the other boys their versions were maybe different... maybe something like I want to move up a team or be on the top team or whatever. I guess part of us as parents wants our kids to be their version of successful so we do whatever it takes, include argue with the club as to why my kid isn't where I think he should be. I wonder... is this teaching the kid the art of learning how to deal with 'failure' or 'loosing' or 'setting more attainable goals'?

Wow -- when I actually take the time to sit down and write I do, sometimes, have good things to say.


To summarize our summer after the whole soccer tryouts -- Tyler made the team he deemed would be the best fit for him -- he got the opportunity to go to Steamboat to play in a soccer tournament in which the team placed 2nd. He worked with Lou quite a bit and practiced with the throwers at the high school. Oh -- and he found himself a few lawns to mow in the neighborhood. So kept him busy enough to stay out of trouble.


Brooke got herself two jobs and worked all of June. She then went to an Explorers Conference in July and had 3 -- yes 3 back to back to back Poms Camps (which is severely sprained her foot in) so she is currently playing catch up to not being able to dance or run for 6 weeks. She also went to a running camp with Katy Mackey (a professional runner with Brooks Running) and campaigned her way to be the Junior Class Vice President.


Lou and I took the kids to Beavercreek over the 4th of July and saw a summer concert, and figured out the art of relaxing by the pool -- we also went to Steamboat with the soccer team and then worked the rest of the summer. Again, not something I would recommend but -- you do what you have to do right?



Now that school has started and our life is resembling something of a reliable schedule I would like to say we are back on track … but when your daily schedule has all of us going different directions all day every day that isn't exactly the case. Either way we seem to be getting things under control. Fingers crossed ;) …

No comments:

Post a Comment