Mmmmm -- Well I started writing that only about 2 months ago ... I guess I suck at this whole blogging thing.
I logged on here today to write down my thoughts as the school year comes to an end. I meant to write about good things and maybe some struggles. Hoping to write down memories so in a few years when the kids start graduating I can use this as reminders. Well, now I just find myself a little sad. Sad that I only have 3 more years until my oldest graduates, goes out into this giant world and I'm sure does great things. Which then means 6 years until my youngest graduates. 6 more years and then I won't have to call schools, teachers, admin about why he is sitting in the back of the class eating his stupid chips, why they aren't worried about challenging him or pushing him to his top potential. 6 more years of figuring out crazy but worthwhile schedules. Only 3 more dance recitals and 6 more piano recitals ... I mean, I don't even know...
As for my thoughts -- As in typical Brooke fashion, she went into Pomona and made a name for herself. I mean, not like some of the big deal athletes who letter the first day out or whatever, but in academics (where it honestly counts the most). She got involved, both with things I knew about and things I didn't. She set a goal and met those goals... Not without struggle and tears and some failures. She caught the eye of the FBI and a Colorado Supreme Court Justice (all for positive things I promise). She figured out ways to challenge herself and have fun. She found and then lost a first boyfriend. She learned about dances, and crushes, and mean girls, and teachers she didn't get along with and I'm proud to say she has lived through it all and managed to learn and grow along the way. Pomona has been good for Brooke and I would like to think that most people would says that Brooke has been good for Pomona...
Brooke -- During her Moot Court Trip to Washington D.C
Tyler -- well as in typical Tyler fashion, we struggled a bit... we struggled with communication and with people following through on their end. We struggled with behavior kids in his class and Tyler having low tolerance for them. We struggled on learning how to work with his teacher(s) and we struggled with final decisions. But we learned a bunch. And Tyler was still able to have fun, to form a great group of friends, to learn and grow as a person. Tyler also found himself opportunities (not always knowingly) to challenge himself. He got involved with things that help the community and found himself enjoying it. He learned to be a stronger leader and after some struggle moments he learned that making good decisions is way better than dealing with the consequences of bad decisions. As he moves on from the elementary school I can only hope that the middle school does better in challenging him, they do better with the behavior issues and that Tyler does better to push himself instead of hoping someone pushes him.
Tyler was in the top 8 7th/8th graders for a MathCon competition. Tyler is only in 6th grade.
As a parent this year I have learned that every kid will get through a school year and by default they will learn. Sometimes the road to end is a bit windier than another person and with my kids I have learned that while one takes the straight road, the other maybe takes 2 steps forward and 1 step back. I'm thinking this is why I have two children... completely opposite ... to teach me to change and adapt.
As a parent ending my tenure as an elementary school parent I find myself wondering a bit how I got here. 10 years ago when it all started I never was able to imagine being in this position. I'm a little sad that my kids are older, but as with all things, we change and grow and realize that we no longer belong here. Moving past the sadness I'm excited for my kids and their new opportunities and challenges.
No comments:
Post a Comment