08 December 2017

Annual Christmas Letter 2017

On the radio the other morning there was a big conversation about how people don't read, or don't want to read people's 'sugar coated - my life is better than yours' Christmas Letters and usually they get thrown in the trash. Well thank goodness for the electronic version, not wasting any paper and if you don't want to read it, would you have really gotten this far? My guess is no. But I promise you, this won't be some 'sugar coated -- my life is better than yours' letter. I know that we have many of the same struggles that you have -- not enough sleep, enough money, enough family time, or any time for that matter, not enough positive all the way around. I like to focus on the positive up-lifting things that have happened and try to create more of those moments. But I know there are always hiccups along the way...

2017 has been filled with a little travel, a little soccer, a little dance, some transitions into different schools, some friend drama, some boy drama and many 'pep talks' to just get through the week. All in all, we are good, healthy and excited for things still to come, but enjoying life's journey right where we are.

We took the kids to their first concert at Red Rocks... Lets just say my kids live in one giant bubble and concert going is not inside that bubble 
 
Tyler -- after winning a tournament (in the freezing rain) and playing shut out goalie.
 
My not so little Ty-Guy ... is now 11, technically in the 6th grade and still playing soccer and the Piano. I tell you, if I didn't have Tyler I would think the school system is fantastic, I'm pretty sure I have said this since the day he started school. I felt like 5th grade was fantastic, we had a teacher that understood Tyler, knew how to get him to do what she needed and encourage learning in a 'round about' way that Tyler didn't know he was learning. We had a principal that had been trained in 'Tyler' and 'Tyler's mom' so everyone knew what everyone needed to be successful. 6th grade came with new teacher, new principal and no one trained in 'Tyler.' If there weren't so many other factors I may have looked deeper into other schooling options than what we are doing, but alas! Tyler is happy with his friends and he is learning, and that is why you go to school I guess. Is he learning up to his potential? Probably not. Are we making daily sacrifices for Tyler to be in the schedule he is in? Every Single Day! And that is probably why we are a little more frustrated than normal. I'm hoping at this point we have most of the bugs worked out so that second semester at school can go much smoother. Besides school... Tyler is still playing the piano with Ms. Brown. They work so well together and I know the effort on Tyler's part isn't great but there is still progress. Soccer is going well, Tyler (and his parents) love the coach and love the he found something that keeps him active and happy. Since the new season came and the team was split apart there have been a few learning curves with the new group of boys but all good stuff. Ty loves to play goalie and in the process, I have become a better 'goalie mom' -- my pacing along the sideline has slowed down considerably. He has also been moved to a few other positions around the field that he is very happy to play. Lou and Tyler also joined the school on a fantastic trip to Washington D.C. Tyler still talks about some of the sites they say and how much fun they had. I was sorry to stay home, however, sometimes I have to let Lou be with the kids. 
 

Tyler didn't really 'want' to dress up for Halloween, but decided because they were going to the "old people home" at school that he should be festive ... so he chose to be ORANGE ... Lucky for us, Tyler's closet is also orange... it worked out.
Lou and Tyler in front of the White House...
 
This is how these two pretend to act -- you know all loving and kind
This is a closer depiction of real life
Piano recital day -- Brooke is smiling because her giant wedges make her taller than Tyler.
 
 
 
My dear Brookie -- she is now 14, going on 18. She has been my source of friend drama, boy drama, pep talks ... pretty much the typical teenage girl that tells me EVERYTHING. I had forgotten how big of deal some things are when you are 14 and in high school. I don't know how this happened; like they let her graduate from middle school and stuff, but here we are ... Middle school for Brooke was a bit of a game to see what she could get the teachers to do for her. From my perspective she was successful in that none of the teachers wanted her to leave. High School, so far, in the academic department has been much of the same. I couldn't be happier that we are on this side of the academic challenges, instead of one where I need to beg her to do her work. Brooke joined the High School Poms (dance) team and at first really had a difficult time. The coach was terrible (I was going to try and sugar coat that and say something nicer, but then remembered I wouldn't sugar coat...) And after many months on enduring the coach's abusive behavior and a few hard conversations, things finally changed. Life has been better since in that department. As every teenage girl since the beginning of time there was friend drama (you know, she blinked at me wrong or gave me a funny face when I said something) and then there was some times when there really was some mean things said but seems to have smoothed out now. Brooke is also still playing the piano, although some weeks I'm sure the piano teacher is more of a counselor than a piano teacher, but its alright ... as long as she is happy. Brooke has taken the 'be involved' suggestion at the high school very seriously, between the Poms team, Mock trial, track and student counsel I'm not really sure where she finds time for other things, but she does. We are still driving to Evergreen twice a week for her to take 'real dance classes' and she still manages to have a social life. If you ask Brooke, high school is just 'whatever' and life is 'alright' but from my perspective she is pretty spoiled and has things pretty easy.
 
This is the first year that Brooke and Anthony (my nephew) have gone to the same school -- and so far they are doing great!
Homecoming -- these 3 seem to be really close this year.
One of Brooke's first Poms Performances
 
As for Lou -- He turned 40 this year ... I took him on a surprise trip to San Francisco and the Napa Valley ... he liked Napa way better than San Francisco and we came home members of a Wine Club ... Funny how that happens. I still owe my parents something incredible because they took most of the brunt of my kids busy schedules (a soccer game is Longmont and Laramie, a Poms Performance among other things). The kids also threw Lou and surprise party (that I got blamed for) but he seemed to have fun and allowed most of Lou's friends time to celebrate with him (and give him many packages of diapers and fiber). I'm just hoping he forgets about all of this in the next few years ... I'm not nearly as patient about surprises ...
 

 
Lou also went to Mexico in January, Washington DC in May, we did the Tough Mudder in Copper Mountain in July, and a weekend in Steamboat ... I think he had quite the year...
 
Possibly my new favorite picture of us.
 
As for me ... I'm still working at Four To Go, and selling over priced beer at sporting events, helping to organize the running club and enjoying every minute of being a mom ... ok -- no sugar coating -- not every minute, there have been many moments that I have texted Lou and told him I'm quitting this whole mom gig. But for the most part, things are positive in my world. For travel this year I spent some time in Mexico lounging on the beach and befriending the bartender (and paddle boarding, kayaking and enjoying the ocean) competed in the Slacker 1/2 marathon in June, the Tough Mudder in July, San Francisco in September, a little over a day in Steamboat in November and then a weekend in Scottsdale. I was very fortunate to be able to enjoy the time away and feel guilty all at the same time. Only talented people can do that... My running this year is much more consistent since I don't have a nagging foot issue which is very exciting and although I'm not all the way back to my old self, there is lots of progress being made.
 
While in Scottsdale (especially when you live in Colorado) you must hike the mountain (hill) in the middle of town, and then find Santa Claus (who had carried the Christmas tree up) at the top!
After the Tough Mudder ... We were still laughing (probably at ourselves)
Lou participated in 'No Shave November' and hated EVERY SINGLE DAY of it! I'm honestly surprised he allowed me to take this picture.
All I wanted for my birthday was to hike up to see the sunrise ... these are the only 2 I could convince to join me...
 
 
So ... that is all the fun the Krapes family could have this year ... Or maybe just the highlights minus all the feel good stuff. We want to wish you a very Merry Christmas and an exciting start to the New Year!
 
 


 

1 comment: