Brooke has started high school. She mostly loves it, except for the this whole homework thing. Before now, she has always made the most of her time at school and has had her homework done by the time the day was over. Now, the teachers are doing their thing all class period and give the assignment at the end. And to make matters worse, the 'study hall' time she is given is the first class of the day. She is too much like her mama to wait until the last minute to do the work in the morning. Brooke still mostly loves the Poms team... She thinks her coach, while she is a nice person, is struggling with her role. Brooke has been in the dance world too long to have patience for coaches/teachers that are learning what they are doing while trying to teach them. But the plus side of high school sports is that it is almost affordable.
The first performance Brooke made it through without passing out.
Tyler has started his school, in this dual enrollment at the middle school and elementary school thing. While I think it is a good thing he is constantly telling me that he likes the middle school so much better than the elementary school. Maybe because the teachers treat them like the are grown people, instead of trying to continue to coddle them along.
Well ... I wrote all of the above, then life happened and I thought I would come right back to it and pick up where I left off... Since I'm not sure where I was going with the above post I'll keep it and move onto to the here and now.
Quick update... The Poms team is finally recognizing Brooke and so she is a bit happier... while the coach is still learning, Brooke is still getting her butt kicked at the studio, so it is all working out. Tyler, on the other hand decided that the middle school isn't as great as we thought, heck neither is the elementary school. We are struggling with communication issues (which is a new issue for us) between me and the school. It is almost like we are in limbo mode, he isn't really enrolled in either school while being enrolled in both. It is fantastic.
Academically Tyler is fine; just this morning the conversation in the car...
Friend in the back seat: "I forgot that the math deal is due on Thursday and it will take me more than an hour so we will have to do that later."
Me to Tyler: "Do you have that same math thing due also?"
Tyler: "Oh yeah, I think maybe Friday."
Me: "Did you do it?"
Tyler: "Yeah, in class..."
Me: "Did you convince Mr. Bradley to do it for you?"
Tyler: "No mom ... that would be dumb, it was a simple thing."
Meanwhile Brooke --"I'm not going to do my math homework tonight, I have advisement with Stosh in the morning and I'm going to convince him to help me or I mean do it for me."
All the while I'm thinking ... "What have I raised?" I guess at the end of the day it is how they 'play the game' at school and they are learning weather they admit it or not... so I should be happy.
To other news besides my kids ... Lou turned 40 ... I first surprised him with a trip to San Francisco and Napa Valley... while he ruined part of the surprise we still had fun and had remember that we did actually like each other before we had kids. Because right now so much of our life is consumed with our kids. The kids and I then surprised with a surprise party that included many friends and family. He still says that he can't believe that many people actually like him...
The Bay
Ghirardelli Square
Our Favorite Winery
We also took the kids to their first concert ... They were enlightened to see all the things that happen at Red Rocks ...
No comments:
Post a Comment