15 December 2016

Christmas Letter 2016

So ... it is December ... I'm not ready for Christmas, I'm not emotionally or physically able to even think about Christmas, and I don't have a good reason why. I barley have Christmas Cards ordered and I think I have purchased about 4 gifts ... Hopefully my kids can really slow time for me and everything will come together ...


2016 has been good in the Krapes House ... As every house, I'm sure, we have had some ups and downs ... but mostly things have been positive and as a family we are trying to make the best of every situation. In 2016 we traveled a little, we danced, played baseball and soccer, we worked and made changes when necessary. We are fortunate to be close to family so that my kids know their cousins and grandparents and aunts and uncles and so they can help us out when needed ;).



We traveled to Loreto Mexico in January with my parents. It was a fantastic trip to a tiny fisherman town in the Baja Peninsula, the resort was great, the town locals were fun, the people we met on the resort were so nice. There was beaches and hiking and beach volleyball and sandcastle making and stand up paddle boarding. The people that worked on the resort would play with the kids and teach them local traditions and survival skills, they would help Lou out when would manage to 'loose his shoes.' They serenaded my birthday. It couldn't have been better timing to get out of the cold and to relax after a busy Christmas season. We also had a few trips more local ... we went to Beaver Creek for a few weekends, and Steamboat and Snowmass (in the same weekend, thank you soccer). The mountain trips were all great and also well needed relaxation points.



Tyler turned 10 this year ... he is in 5th grade and has a fantastic teacher (Ms Jones). We couldn't be happier on that front. Tyler is also enrolled in an online math class that focuses on 6th / 7th grade curriculum. Tyler is being challenged a bit, but is growing ever frustrated with the routine of the same thing every day. I guess I don't know what I will do one day when I don't have to worry about Tyler and school. Hopefully the district is able to make some changes for next year to help us out a little bit. (Because you know, it is all about us and what is best for Tyler ;)). Tyler also has decided to give up baseball to play soccer competitively. This has been a fun adventure with practice 4 times a week some weeks plus a game or two on the weekend. I do have to say that Tyler has been happy with his choice. He is on a great team with a great coach. We are hoping the spring session goes just as smoothly. Since winter is upon us here in Denver, they have gone to playing indoor soccer, which has been a huge learning curve for these boys, but still fantastic. Tyler is still playing the piano. He always loves to learn new things, but he once he figures out fun songs, he will just play them over and over and over. As a mom I wish he would practice more, as a kid who grew up playing the piano I understand that practicing isn't that fun. And probably moving at your own speed is the best pace.
On a boat ride in Mexico, Tyler was leading the way
And This shows how tall Tyler is getting... Not really my 'little guy' anymore
Tyler's new coach




Brooke is 13, she is finishing up her middle school years and heading off to high school next year. I'm not sure how that happened and believe me when I say, I'm so not ready for this roller coaster. She has succeeded again this year to be every teachers favorite and has exceptional grades. Brooke auditioned for (and made) the Joffrey Ballet Summer Intensive classes in New York and Denver over last summer. Sadly for Brooke I didn't have an extra $10,000 hanging out and there was no way I was letting my 13 year old alone on the streets of New York for 7 weeks. (I know, meanest mom ever!) She settled for the Denver Intensive which turned out to be 80 hours of ballet over 2 weeks. However, in those two weeks she had some incredible training from teachers all over the world. She was offered a position on a pre-professional company but turned that down. She still made the incredibly hard decision to move studios. The new studio offers her 5 different teachers that push her all differently and are helping her to focus on technique and strength. And it is only 45 minutes away from home. Brooke has decided that competing should take a backseat until she gets where she wants to go in other areas of dance. She loves dance again and is excited to be there, instead of all the other drama she was dealing with. Brooke is also still playing the piano. I try to remind her that if she would practice the piano as much as she dances then she would be amazing. She hasn't quite figured that out yet. Lucky for us she has a piano teacher that is extremely patient and moves at Brooke's pace.    
This is how dancers help each other with their make up
Some of Brooke's favorite people to dance with
Brooke and her friend Jasmine at the school Award Ceremony
More dance shenanigans


Our beachside view in Loreto
 
As for Lou he had to give up coaching soccer when Tyler decided competitive was the way to go... So I would love to say he has more time on his hands, but I would be lying. We managed to fill that up by driving Brooke 45 minutes away to dance and Tyler's 4 nights a week at soccer, oh and then homework and piano. He is still working with his family and there have been great business improvements there. It is no secret that there is room for improvement in the employee relations department. It all is a process and hopefully things will get straightened out sooner than later. This fall Lou did take up 'training' with me to run the Tough Mudder and the Hot Chocolate Race. He is still the overly supportive, genuinely concerned guy he has always been. I'm forever grateful that he came into my life all those years ago...

Lou and I before the Hot Chocolate Race.
 
Finally, I'm still working, coordinating a running club for both the elementary school and for my friends that continually support me, and fundraising for the kids activities. My running has taken a backseat this year because I've been dealing with planter fascia issues that turned into other issues. Never again will I tease someone for complaining about their foot hurting. When I finally was able to start running again I then realized what terrible shape I'm in and this process of coming back sucks a whole lot. But, lesson learned... when you have something hurting, don't run on it for another 4 months before deciding to take some time off... perhaps the recovery time will be a lot shorter. Running aside, things are good in my world. I love the challenges that are presented to me daily, I love how I'm learning and growing still, after all these years! I love that I have great groups of friends that push me to exercise on days when sleeping would be so much better. I love that I have people to remind me daily to live in the 'here and now.'
 
After we finished the Tough Mudder with our friends ... Always a great time!
 
One of the colder Bronco Games we got to go to
 
 
That is really all I have for updates from the Krapes family... we would like to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and sending out the best for a great New Year! 
Our Ice Skating Adventure in Beaver Creek ... they forced us to take a break so they could 'Zamboni' the ice ... Only Tyler was excited to watch that.


3 comments:

  1. Amazing family! Miss you but glad you are all doing so well. Have a Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing family! Miss you but glad you are all doing so well. Have a Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing family! Miss you but glad you are all doing so well. Have a Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete