I recently read a blog post entitled 'I voted, but I didn't like it.." and at the time I thought, I feel the same way, as an American I was to take my right to vote and vote, but I don't like it. I don't like my choices, I don't like what cities and counties are asking for. I don't like any of it. But, I'm going to set a good example for my kids and I'm going to vote. I asked them questions while I was voting, they helped me research and I'll admit they did a fantastic job of finding only facts instead of propaganda and they asked solid questions that could not be answered. When the results came in it seemed as if much of what I voted for was opposite of the majority outcome, so the kids were disappointed but we go with majority rules. That's how America works.
Then, this week happened...
This week in the Great United States we voted, because that is the American thing to do ... we voted for a new president, we voted for senators and other members of Congress, we voted for ballet proposals, tax increases, judges and policies among other things. And now, America, I'm sad ... I'm not sad because of the outcome of all the these things (because as an American I know that my way is not the only way), I'm sad because of how America has handled itself when they 'didn't get their way.' I'm sad for my kids, because they are only learning about the election system and process and America is too busy throwing a giant temper tantrum that it is getting in the way of their learning. Just like in soccer, isn't it our job, America, to roll with the punches and figure out how to rise up? Isn't it our job to take each thing that happens and learn from it?
Instead, this is what is happening ...
1) Schools, in classes all around the country (at least the 2 my kids attend for sure) they aren't allowed to talk politics... What? Are we teaching the kids that we can only talk politics when we all agree? How is that American? I thought America was about embracing other peoples differences, encouraging meaningful conversations and respecting other opinions. Yesterday that is not what happened at all. My son was told that him and his friends could not talk about the election when they were outside 'running the hill,' and a social studies teacher at Brooke's school wrote on the board that there will be no talk about politics today. How is that encouraging meaningful conversations or embracing other opinions? Guess what? Brooke is in 8th grade which focuses on American History. History just happened and they can't talk politics (luckily the social studies teacher that Brooke has did allow conversation and discussion and on the walk home Brooke was able to have a fact filled conversation with her friend of different views and guess what? They are still friends today). And Tyler, in 5th Grade is also learning about the electoral system and their conversation is squashed when they are outside? Congratulations America! You just tried to teach my kids that everything is fine as long as they agree with you. Which also says, don't think for yourself, don't come to the table with your own ideas. Just go with us, we know best.
2) People are rioting ... Seriously?!? You don't get your way and so you protest and riot? You haven't even given anyone a chance to prove themselves. Both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama said that you should embrace the new president with and Open Mind. And all the crazy ideas I'm seeing and hearing from people. Just like I tell my kids, you don't know how things are going to be until you give it a chance. Let me tell you, I'm willing to try. I'm willing to see if there is are better Health Care options out there, because my options right now are terrible. (Did you know, in Colorado there are only 3 companies that are offering individual health care plans?) I'm willing to see if there is a better way to keep manufacturing jobs here in the states because that is how the infrastructure in the United States keeps moving forward (Hello Detroit?) I'm willing to have immigrants here as long as they are here legally paying the same taxes that I'm paying and living by the same rules. I'm willing to work with a congressman that I did not vote for, who has been a lifetime guy and does not agree with the same things I agree with ... because that is who the people voted for. In America we have told our kids for as long as time that there are people in this world you have to learn to work with, you don't have to be best friends, you don't even have to like them, but you have to work them. If America is going to unite and move forward we are going to have to learn to work together.
3) 2 presidential candidates spent the better part of 18 months telling America what a monster the other one is. Instead of talking policies and plans and ways to improve America they talked about how terrible the other is. What the bottom line is, they used to be friends. Guess what? Neither one of them is a monster. They both want what will help America and American people, they have different ideas on how to get there. Don't we all?
4) On Monday there was post after picture after post ... Don't Gloat, we still have to work together tomorrow ... or something to that effect. Do you know what I saw instead? I saw personal attacks on people. Post after post after post was another personal attack on someone who thought differently than you? Or delete me as a friend if you voted for "insert name here." Again, Congratulations America! You just proved that you, in fact can't, or won't accept anything except what you believe. In fact, you won't even listen with an open mind. Because what you believe must be the only way.
5) NPR had a great article Thursday Morning stating that if you look at the history of American presidents and elections that American's are always ready for change and basically the pendulum effect swinging back and forth. And this is very common going all the way back to the 1920's. Funny, though I don't remember the republicans rioting in 2008 with Obama was voted in, or the democrats before that when Bush was voted in. If we take anything away from history class, it should have been "HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF!"
6) On some of the local levels ... We are passing taxes (2 cents per ounce) when people buy a soda? Really? At the end of the day, isn't the person's choice if they want to drink soda, or milk or tea? We have become such a nation that we are going to try control what people do to their own bodies? And the quote that got to me "...soda companies have lined their pockets for years on people buying these terrible things for their body..." Now I question ... who is lining their pockets with the tax they are implementing on these drinks? And tell me, is that money going to educate people about the effects of soda on their body? Because that worked so well for the tobacco companies, or that marijuana tax that was supposed to go to building schools. I would like to see the spreadsheet on how many school districts actually saw that money.
At the end of the day America the little kids are watching you, they are watching you throw a temper tantrum like a 5 year and they are thinking "it is ok to do that." You have the power right now to change your reaction, you have the choice to listen to the kids conversations before squashing them, you have the power to rise up and continue to move forward in a positive fashion. But you have to make that choice and I promise you... what I saw yesterday is not a positive fashion. And I hope for my kids and their friends sake that you take the power and change your reaction. Because the problem with America right now is not what the election results are as much as how the American people react to those results.
No comments:
Post a Comment