09 June 2016

10 Things Being a Dance Mom Has Taught Me...

As we hit a crossroads in our world, I'm deciding to take a moment to reflect... Brooke is debating and thinking strongly about moving in a different direction with dance. She is wanting to perform a bit more and compete a bit less ... and so in my moment of reflection I've decided to make a list to what being a dance mom has taught me.

1) There really are tons and tons of parents out there trying to relive their childhood dreams through their kids... Some hide it well but most do not. It has been reinforced that I don't like that in a person. I don't like the attitude that it is always someone that didn't allow you to get the score you wanted. I don't like the attitude of people not realizing there is always something/someone better out there. I have tried to teach my child ... there will always be a dancer that has more experience or learns faster or can do more or likes a different style. It is ok and it helps define who we are and sometimes pushes us just a bit more to try harder ... When parents get involved is typically when I see the excuses coming out or the kids upset because of teachers or other kids or whatever. Being the mom that played softball and soccer and know nothing about dance, could I tell who is the problem or what they are doing wrong? Sometimes ... but none of us are perfect and shouldn't we all just worry about ourselves?



2) Some kids are so competitive and mean it just is enough to make me crazy. In the running world we are usually helpful and nice and encouraging to each other, offering assistance whenever possible. In the dancing world many kids are the ones saying 'I'm going to beat you, you aren't any good, I'm not sure why you are even here.' I would much rather hear 'I saw you having trouble, lets work together and see if I can help.' At the end of the day what good does the negative attitude get you? I understand that usually these kids that act like this are trying to over compensate for issues they have, but it doesn't help anything...

3) My daughter being around the older kids a bunch has made me explain things a whole lot sooner than I ever thought I would have to do... I'm not impressed ... But at least most of that conversation has been done.



4) I have been exposed to some of the best music... The radio does not do justice to all the 'not as well known' singers out there and dance has forced me to listen and encouraged me to find a bunch more music than I even knew existed. For this I'm thankful.

5) Dance has made Brooke mature faster and given her a work ethic I only dreamed of as a child. I have enjoyed watching Brooke have a goal, meet a goal and repeat for the better part of 10 years now and I think the work ethic that goes along with the dedication will serve her well when she gets older. If only dance would now give her the confidence she needs to go along with that work ethic she will be able conquer mountains.



6) Like every other industry out there, I have discovered that dance is still all in who you know. It makes me sad that people don't look outside of their group for talent, but at the end of the day it makes it so much easier to 'know' a bunch of people.

7) Dance has taught me how to rhinestone costumes. A skill I never wanted and will probably never use again, but you could possibly say I'm a professional.

8) Dance has made me be able to have a 'pep talk' at the drop of a hat ... No thought process needed ... I'm not sure I'm in love with this skill either but pep talks are needed far more often with dance than any other team sport that I have been apart of. Brooke is totally capable of seeing through the 'crap' that some parents can get by with so the pep talks I have had to come up with tend to have to include the truth ... ALWAYS ... That makes everything a bit more difficult.

9) Some of the friends that Brooke has made, being at the dance studio for so many hours every week will be life long friends. It is true that when you hang out with the same person day after day after day that you are friends, no matter what and sometimes, those people turn into your closest friends... they know you so well... I have also met some of the best parents along the way who have helped me to become a much better mom/person and are available anytime I'm in need a mom101 lesson... Maybe that was the lesson all along. To prove to me that it takes a village!

This is how dancers put on their makeup ... holding the mirror with their feet a friends to 'prop' them up!

And there is always time to goof around, in the lockers ...


10) Finally, at the end of it all ... teachers can make or break a student. Don't get me wrong, every teacher I have met always has great intentions but sometimes those original intentions get lost along the way ... When the good intentions are lost then the student flounders, when the student flounders it is really hard for them to make decisions because one decision can hurt feelings and the other decision can hurt the students potential ... All very difficult for children to figure out and even more difficult for teachers to support or even understand. 

This is Brooke, stepping out of her comfort zone, with her teacher from India, Michael ...


All in all, dance has been an incredible learning experience for the whole family. Coming from a family of non dancers I was in pure shock when this roller coaster started. I have confidence that Brooke will continue dancing. She has taken off the better part of 2 weeks and misses the activity on her body, the friends and the art, the fun of trying new things. However, she doesn't miss the drama, the last minute details, the pressure and chaos or the suspense of hoping there is a good teacher available to teach.



As a mom I hope Brooke continues to perform, she is at the point now where she is beautiful to watch, and you can tell when she is dancing how happy she is. As a mom I hope Brooke realizes her talent and takes advantage of it, but I just want her to be happy

No comments:

Post a Comment